What OKLAHOMA is all about:
Love The Summer?
Want Something To Eat?
South Coffeeville, Oklahoma
Why Travel To Other Cities?
Oklahoma Has Them All!
Santa Fe, Oklahoma
St. Louis, Oklahoma
Don't Forget The Wildlife!
Deer Creek, Oklahoma
Elk City, Oklahoma
We Have A Town Named After A Number...
And A Town Who's Letter's Don't Spell Anything...
And For The Sportsman Who Wants To Get Away From It All...
Fisherman's Paradise, Oklahoma
We Even Have A City Named After Earth's Only Satellite!
And A City Named After Our State!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Feeling A Bit Chilly?
Cold Springs, Oklahoma
Oklahoma Is Full Of Love!
Like To Read About The Presidents?
Other City Names In Oklahoma To Make You Smile.....
And Regardless What Side Of The Fence You're On...
Here Are Some Little Known But Very Interesting Facts About Oklahoma.
1. The bread twist tie was invented in Maysville.
2. The shopping cart was invented in Ardmore in 1936.
3. The nation's first parking meter was intalled in Oklahoma City in 1935.
4. The first Girl Scout Cookie was sold in Muskogee in 1917.
5. Cimarron County, located in the Oklahoma Panhandle, is the only county in the U.S. bordered by 4 separate states... Texas, New Mexico, Colorado & Kansas.
6. The Oklahoma State Capital is the only capital in the U.S. with working oil wells on its grounds.
7. Boise City, Oklahoma was the only city in the United States to be bombed during World War II. On Monday night, July 5, 1943, at 12:30 a.m., a B-17 Bomber based at Dalhart Army Air Base, Texas, dropped six practice bombs on the sleeping town, mistaking the city lights as target lights.
8. WKY Radio in Oklahoma City was the first radio station transmitting west of the Mississippi River.
9. The nation's first 'Tornado Warning' was issued on March 25, 1948 in Oklahoma City minutes before a devastating tornado. Because of the warning, no lives were lost.
10. Oklahoma has the largest Native American population of any state in the U.S.
11. The name ' Oklahoma' comes from two Choctaw words... okla meaning 'people' and humma meaning 'red'. So the name means, 'Red People.' The name was approved in 1890.
12. Oklahoma produced more astronauts than any other state.
13. Oklahoma has more man made lakes than any other state.
14. During the 'Land Rush', Oklahoma City went from a vast, open prairie to a city of over 10,000 in a single day.
15. The nation's first traffic 'Yield' sign was invented and designed by Clinton Riggs,father of Bartlesville retired physician Thomas Riggs MD, and erected in Tulsa.
16. Pensacola Dam is the longest multi-arched dam in the world at 6,565 feet.
17. The ' Port of Catoosa' (just north of Tulsa) is the largest inland port in America.
18. The aerosol can was invented in Bartlesville.
19. Per square mile, Oklahoma has more tornadoes than any other place in the world.
20. The highest wind speed ever recorded on earth was in Moore, Oklahoma on May 3rd. 1999 during the Oklahoma City F-5 tornado. Wind speed was clocked at 318 mph.
21.Bob Dunn a musician from Beggs invented the first electric guitar 1935.
22. Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper is located in Bartlesville.
22. The ' Will Rogers World Airport' and the ' Wiley Post Airport' are both named after two famous Okies....both killed in an airplane crash!!!