Wednesday, April 28, 2010

AMERICANIA one of it's BEST




UNION PACIFIC STEAM
LOCOMOTIVE THE 844
FORMERLY THE 8444




THE 844 UNION PACIFIC STEAM ENGINE IS A PIECE OF AMERICANA THAT MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF ARE TOTALLY ENAMORED WITH.  WE FIRST CHASED THIS TRAIN AS A PAIR OF YOUNG NEWLYWEDS.  WHY CHASE THE TRAIN?   IT IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO RIDE IT.  YOU HAVE TO BE VERY LUCKY TO DO THAT, BECAUSE IT ONLY RUNS FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS.   THE TRAIN WAS ON IT'S WAY BACK FROM DISPLAY AT THE NEW ORLEANS WORLDS FAIR
ON A SNOWY JANUARY  29TH  1985  in this photo.  



 
It was called the 8444 back then because there was a diesel at that time with the 800 series number, when it retired they took the original 844 number back.


WE WERE ON OUR WAY TO THE IN-LAWS April 9th TO VISIT IN ARKANSAS AND AS WE WERE PASSING THROUGH VINITA, OKLAHOMA the HUSBAND LOOKED BACK AND SAW PEOPLE BY THE TRACKS WITH TRIPODS....HE SAID TO ME "HEY THEY HAVE TRIPODS SET UP ON THE TRACKS, AND I KNOW THEY ARE NOT PHOTOGRAPHING THE COAL TRAIN!"  HE WENT ON DOWN THE ROAD AND I SAID "TURN AROUND, LETS GO BACK AND WAIT"  COULD IT BE....A STEAM ENGINE IS PASSING THROUGH TOWN?  YES, IT WAS AND IT WAS OUR FAVORITE THE 844!  
WHAT LUCK IS THAT!!! 




I stepped onto the tracks to cross over to the other side and took this shot on the tracks.  The train was going fairly slow since they were entering town.  The crew love to hang out the windows and wave at all the Paparazzi!  




We got home and I checked out the 844 Web Site and saw it was on it's way to Harlingen , Texas for the Southern Texas Heritage Tour and would be back through Oklahoma on the 24th on it's way back home in Cheyenne, Wyoming.  
We would start following it in Nowata, Oklahoma and go north on highway 169 into Coffeyville, Kansas where it was to overnight.
 I decided I would video it while my husband shot stills.....this is how it went

The Video and explination on what happened in Nowata here


We jumped back in the truck and arrived in Coffeyville.










The on train Gift Shop was open
naturally husband had to have the T Shirt









and here we are 25 years ago at the same location with the same train. 



I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE WAY THE STEAM OF THE LOCOMOTIVE SURROUNDED MY HUSBAND IN THIS SHOT I TOOK OF HIM.  HE IS STANDING SQUARE IN FRONT OF THE LOCOMOTIVE AS IT STOPPED ON THE TRACKS AT COFFEYVILLE, KANSAS.





THE SOUND OF THE LOCOMOTIVE SIGHING AND COUGHING AND TALKING IS THE MOST AMAZING THING!  IT GIVES YOU GOOSE BUMPS, IT IS LIKE IT HAS A LIFE OF IT'S OWN. 
WE JUST LOVE THE ROMANCE OF THE TIME PAST WITH THESE OLD GIANTS.  

I know, I know, a lot has happened in the last 25 years and unfortunately you have to call it 
LIFE experience...  
notice I did not put my NOW photo there
LOL!!!!!
It's my blog and I can do what I want to!!!

2 comments:

  1. My friend's husband is a bigtime train lover. The plan vacations around places he can see trains that interest him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos....winds back the years :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear comments from my friends in the blog world!